Please log in or create an account.
Please log in or create an account.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good community based around general roleplay. We're accepting of any and all who love to write, read, and share!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World

Go down 
+5
FallenSanity
zeru
Teria
K
Razgriz
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 09:39 am

((Think of the big giant post in the spoiler as a prologue))

Mini-Prologue:

((Now))

Another two days came and went, and I was finally allowed to leave the hospital after a month in their care. There was one minor detail though: I had to be wheeled out. Hospital policy apparently, something I really hated. I mean, what was the point of all that damn therapy, and getting used to my limbs, if I couldn't even walk out? I wasn't about to argue though. Chris and her dad were here, so that was good, especially since they brought over some of my clothes. Thankfully, the prosthetics were....organic enough, in terms of look, that I could slip my clothing on no problem. Then I sat in the wheelchair, Chris taking the handles. "You know," I started, "I can wheel myself out. She smirked down at me. "And rob me of the moment? You know how many times I expected to be wheeling you out of the hospital because of some stupid stunt you pulled? This is almost a dream come true for me." We both traded a laugh, and it was certainly good. Once out the front door of the hospital, we waited at the front for Michael to grab his car. While he was away, Chris stood at the side of the chair, her hand on my shoulder. We traded a look, and I found myself once more very glad to have her with me. "So....uh, think anyone will notice?" Before she asked what I was talking about, I raised my robotic hand. She grinned down at me. "Oh no, no one's going to notice that. They'll be too busy laughing at you when I beat you in training." Chuckling, I realized she was being serious. "Wait, what? Training.....for what?"

She suddenly leered at me, and I felt the bottom of my stomach fall. "Oh ho ho James, I am going to help you continue your therapy, by getting you back in shape, and teaching you how to fight." How to fight? Against who? "Chris, you really don't ha-" She cut me off, and I soon found myself staring into her eyes, and that same familiar spark was there. "Like hell I don't. If you're living in my home, then you're going to learn how to defend yourself. Not just defend yourself, but put your attacker in the hospital." Maybe it was just me, but she seemed to be getting taller. Or maybe I was shrinking in fear, I wasn't really sure.

Last edited by Razgriz on 20/05/14, 07:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://atlantis117@gmail.com
K
The Longterm Poster
K

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 06:16 pm

Kalyn had been building towards this moment for months. She'd picked a very difficult target this time; an agent for some company; she'd caught him spying on her. His house, if it could actually be called that and not a mansion, was equipped with the best security. The itself garden was huge, allowing for a guard to have established a patrol route. Cameras everywhere outside, a guard dog and a single security guard. Most thieves wouldn't have dared try to rob the place, despite the amount of valuables that could be taken, and those that did ended up in prison. Kalyn licked her lips, a slight smile creeping across her face. She watched as the security guard sighed and stood up to do his rounds.

Hiding in the grass had been her only option because of the large open space around the house, but that made it easier to reach the house in the shortest time; she'd had nothing in her way when she'd sprinted. She'd learned everything about this place, camera blind spots, the guard's patrol, and even what times people would be inside. It had taken so much time and effort, and Kalyn had loved every second of it. With a quiet click, the lock on the cellar door unlocked with a stolen set of lockpicks, which she quickly put back into her small black backpack.

Once inside, she breathed a deep breath and let the adrenaline pump through her. She felt more alive now than she had ever felt since her escape. Quiet as a shadow, Kalyn crept up the stairs. The ground floor was as grand as the exterior, and boasted a large chandelier in each room, only illustrating the amount of money this man had. Kalyn knew exactly where he would be at this time; in his study reading. She'd learned this by accident; she'd noticed him go in there once while preparing to leave, she noticed that doing so had become one of his habits. The first floor had many doors, though Kalyn knew which one lead to the study. She rested her hand gently on the doorknob as she prepared to enter the room.

Initially, the man didn't react. The shock of a complete stranger walking into his study wore off, though, and he was quick to question why Kalyn was there.
"Who are you?" He demanded, trying his best to sound intimidating. In truth, he was anything but. A small, fat, red and balding man, with glasses and a short goatee, it was almost funny to watch him demand answers, "Why are you here?" When she didn't answer, he'd gotten slightly flustered, taking her silence for her panicking at being caught, "I'll have the police here in thirty seconds if you don't answer, and my wife will have them here quicker than that if I call,"

"Your wife isn't home," Kalyn answered sharply, resisting the urge to smile at his expression, "She went to have a massage, correct? Even though we both know she's cheating on you with your co-worker,"

"How do you know that?" He asked, visibly shaken by Kalyn's knowledge.

"That doesn't matter. You're going to die,"

If one of her victims hadn't already been about to wet themselves, it was when she announced her intentions that they would. She didn't often talk to them, it made for less chance of it going wrong if she didn't, but the times when she did were the times she had looked forward to, like tonight. She wondered if he would beg, offer her money or some other thing he could think of. He went white and didn't speak, looking as though the words were too hard to say.
"Y- You can't..." He mumbled, his tongue stumbling, "I- I haven't done anything!"

Kalyn tilted her head, like a dog or child might when thinking, "You don't have to be a bad person to have bad things happen," She stated, frowning as though it were the most obvious thing in the world, all while a trickle of blood slowly turned into a large blade on her hand. That was what broke him. Her power. She hated that. Her anger flared, her thoughts turning to her kidnappers.
Those bastards made me a freak. Just look at this thing, pissing itself when it sees what they did,
She strode forwards, towards his desk, and 'fight or flight' kicked in. He tried scrambling away from her, only to fail to push himself away, and before he could fight back, she grabbed his shirt and slit his throat. The feeling of accomplishment washing away the anger, until she saw the computer monitor.

On the monitor was a name, her name, along with a photo and a description of her personality and her abilities. She frowned, looking at the file. She thought for a moment; this man had worked for a PMC called Black Fox, she recalled and they were based in the USA. It looked like she was going to America.
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 06:50 pm

I was sitting down in my apartment, wires and gadgets crisscrossing the floor and walls and ceiling, everything connected to everything else to make a massive nest of electronics. I stared at the computer screens, their bright white glow the only source of light at the moment in the room, the flicking planes of digital translation casting harsh shadows from the wires and edges everything made. I typed fast, time was of the essence. Everybody was counting on me, I was their only hope, like that one fictional character...what did they call him...OB1? I don't know, it wasn't important. My research, however, that's what was important. I needed it to continue, needed to finish it and replicate the results.

My name is Frentiu Fanalan Asa Urthus, or Frank Fernando for any of these human legal documents that dictated what I had and what I didn't have. I didn't bother hiding my real name to most people, but that dull human one sounded better to my ears, as the humans that lived around me couldn't replicate the same sounds needed to make my name what it was supposed to be. I am an alien, an extra-terrestrial as humans liked to say. I come from Asadan, a planet no one on Earth can find no matter how powerful the telescope they make. Perhaps once upon time they might have been able to, but no longer. You see, my planet, my home, was dragged into an alternate dimension, where the laws of physics don't always apply and what you think you know might not be the case. For whatever reason, I, and so far only I, was spit back out and given several gifts from the transition.

I have the ability, and I do not know why, to open portals, wormholes to this Void of space and travel through it as naturally as I may travel through water, yet the locations of the portal do not coincide with logical positions within the natural dimension of life. I may travel 500 feet in the Void, and open a portal only to find myself moved 10 feet in another direction in the real world, with time having not changed or moved at all while I was in there. Although, only objects from my planet seem to be stored in the Void. Meaning just my suit and myself, as I have not found anything else in my Earthly travels belonging to my home planet. Along with that, I have this strange new vision and hearing skills, being able to see things not directly in front of me,. wy hearing goes beyond physical waves traveling through a physical medium, to where feelings seem to emanate from individuals, letting me know at the very least where someone is without them making a sound.

I do not understand what I have become, but I know what I must do, and what I must do is reverse the mistakes I made in pursuit of saving my people. I must find a way to replicate my technology, recreate my lab from my home planet, and bring forth my people so that they may live again.

I typed more and more into the computer, until it's internal buffering system filled up and my typing was was being wasted. I groaned and stood up, pushing the chair back through a tangle of wires with a soft squeal, and walked around my home, my new possibly permanent home. I went to the door and opened it up, looking up at the sky and wondering which star currently being blocked out from the light of the sun was my own.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 07:17 pm

=was sitting on a ledge above him and when he noticed urthus he leans down feet hanging on the ledge keeping him from falling=

looking torwards the horizon again?
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 07:36 pm

I looked over, nodding to my roomamte, Zeru Ishtar. "Yeah. Just wondering which one of the many stars hidden behind the sunlight is mine. If it's even visible from this planet, of course." He says, leaning against the nearby railing.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 07:44 pm

=puts his hands on the ledge and leans over landing on the railing in a crouching position=

i hear you and hows the computing going
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 07:46 pm

"It's going. Damn thing is still too slow compared to what I've been used to all my life. The input buffer is too small and slow, feels like I'm fingering uhm...gelatin? Is that the word?"
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 07:50 pm

probably and not surprised on that since the only computers that have what you need are either in use by governments or the military and we can't really walk up and ask them if the'd be willing to sell.

Last edited by zeru on 20/05/14, 08:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:03 pm

"I think I tried that once. They said something about 'Mexican" and tossed me out. I think. Hard to remember." I replied, shaking my head at the distant memories. Most of my mind was taken up with data, computational equations and sequences of numbers, it was hard for me to remember much else.
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:03 pm

"Uh, Chris you're starting to scare me." If anything, that made her smile even more. "Good. Use that fear during training, and you may be able to get a good enough incentive to do better." The car came around, pulling up in front of us. She walked to the rear door, opening it for me. Still shaking from the talk, I got out of the chair, and into the backseat, buckling up as the door was closed. Then she climbed into the passenger seat, and we drove off. Chris and her dad lived in a different neighborhood than me, though she and I still went to the same school. Because of the higher pay Michael's job granted him, he could afford to live in a bigger house that was only a couple blocks away from my old home. Here's a decent comparison: my house was a two floor, three room house with a tiny kitchen and a basement. The basement was larger than the overall two floors above, and it once served as the living room. A cramped kitchen, and a one toilet bathroom on the main floor, and then the three rooms above, with the full bathroom. The whole place wasn't that wide, nor was it long. Now, Chris' house was the opposite. Still two floors, but there was a total of four rooms, and a full bathroom up top. Ground floor had a larger kitchen, bigger living room, and a laundry room. There was even a garage, and mid-sized backyard. My house was a tiny outpost, compared to her castle. Bitch.

Still though, at least I had a home. Better than being a ward of the state. Instead of a family, I would have had government officials where it was their job, not a true desire or care, to watch over me. As we drove through the streets, my mind wandered as I thought of everything I was going to be doing. Sure, most of it was going to be moving my stuff into Chris' home, or going back to school. But at the top of the list, was learning more about these machines, and what they were capable of doing.

And there is much we have to show you. Much to learn.

By the way.....what do I call you? Were you ever given a name? That seemed to be, as of now, the most important thing to clear up. Whatever this AI was, it needed a name, and I wasn't about to start calling it "AI" everytime I wanted to chat.

Our makers gave us a name that while unpronounceable for you, can be translated to fit with one of your English language words.

Whoa, what? English language? It knew.....okay, it more than likely knew most of the language through me, but I hardly knew any appropriate names for this thing. Uh, I doubt I know the word you're thinking of. So how could you know it?

During the night cycles where you were asleep, we spread in tiny tendrils from your body, seeking data. We found it in the form of what you would call a fiber optic port, located within the room you recovered in. It gave us access to your World Wide Web. We required information about your world, and so as you slept, we learned all there was we needed to know.

Okay, now that was scary. I wasn't enough of an idiot to ignore that knowledge was power. And this thing had just scanned the internet, learned everything it could about my world. That made it dangerous, in a sense. But, if it was (hopefully) limited to my body, then perhaps it could be contained. But that was wishful thinking at best. And...what was the word?

Gestalt. "An organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its part." We find this word rather fitting, and choose it as an appropriate name for ourselves.
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:13 pm

Orion sat in silence on top of the One World Trade Center, yawning to himself as he tapped the ground below him. Since it had been completed the tower had eventually offered a large tourist attraction, in honour of the catastrophe that would eventually cause its construction. Though the tour didn't involve the roof at all, Orion always found his way up. Though Orion had been born in Australia, he always loved taking the tour. To the annoyance of most of the security, he also always tended to vanish half way through. He'd needed a sleep away from his handlers, and on top of the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere seemed like the best place to hide.

Slowly he stood, his metal body thinning away before he was left in only his clothes again, a brown coat, dark jeans and boots. He looked down over New York City and smiled to himself softly. He wondered if the people of this lovely city even knew about him, about people like him. If there was a site, or an obscure radio station, anything that spoke about them. He knew he wasn't the only one out and about being made to protect the country and in some cases the world. He just wondered...

"MULATTO BUTTS! Mulatto Butts! MULATTO BUTTS! Mulatto Butts! BLACK AND WHITE BUTTS! Black and wh-"

Orion answered his phone with a peppy jump to his voice for the first time in what was probably months. Still peering over the glorious city before him, as he was suddenly deflated by a familiar, gruff voice.

"This is Agent Roselin. Subject Orion, where on earth have you been? Please tell me you're not on top of another skyscraper?"

Orion scratched his neck and smirked to himself softly as he turned around and made his way down through the roof entrance. When he was out in other countries he often just leapt off and coated himself at the last second, but in New York... he probably wouldn't get away with it. He checked his corners as he silently made his way out.

"No sir, of course not. Just on my home. I was visiting some friends last night, so I-"

"Oh, one of your prostitute friends. Well at the very least tell us next time. We've got a few more missions that would likely require your intervention. Once you return we'll begin discussing them and your involvement. Roselin out."

Orion sighed and slipped his phone back into his pocket. Before long he was back in an elevator and on his way down. He'd managed to 'acquire' a tie, which would at least help him pull off an interview look. He descended, ignoring the people that got on with him, as he thought about things for a moment.
Roselin, missions, people like him. Surely there was more than just this. Surely there was something else going on. There'd been all sorts of shit going on before, he'd seen the files. Agencies, organisations, research programs, all revolving around people like him. He'd seen people like him before, so he knew there were more out here. Orion pulled out his phone.

"Hmm... new york superhero blog... Spider-Man... Superman... Porn... Ah I'll try this later."

He put his phone back in his pocket, leaving the webpage open as a nice little reminder. He made it down to the lobby, ducked into street level, hailed a cab, and was on his way back to the large, large, large house.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:29 pm

hopefully the parts i ordered for you arrive soon
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:31 pm

"You ordered parts for me? What are they? And why?"
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:39 pm

Gestalt...... Well, Gestalt, nice to finally have a name for you. And as for me, call me James. No more of "our host." There was an odd sensation from Gestalt, and I realized that it was a very poor attempt, at amusement. Gestalt found my desire to be called by my name, amusing. Could an AI actually be amused? After all, it was just a machine, no real emotions. So maybe it was just putting on a show for my benefit.

Very well, James.

The conversation more or less done, I started focusing again on where I was. We were now pulling into the driveway of the house. There was a nice green lawn out front, a few small shrubs by the door. Once we had stopped, I opened the door, stepping out. Chris was already out by the time I had closed the door, and she smiled. "Well James....welcome home." Home....something told me, that I wouldn't have any trouble calling this place home.

Walking through the front door, I was greeted by the familiar sight of the living room. There was a sofa, large enough to seat several people comfortably (and on more than one occasion give me a place to sleep during sleepovers), a few single chairs, a coffee table in the center, and of course the ever important flatscreen tv. Chris and I used to play loads of games on it, and there were even a few sporting events I came over to watch from time to time. "Already feeling at home James?" Chris said, walking in behind me. She was beaming at me, clearly eager to see how I was doing. Geesh, I only just walked in the door. No need to act like I was that fragile. Not that I'd say that to her, not in her house anyway. It's just not done.

"Chris, there's nowhere else I could possibly feel at home." Well, except for my original home. But beggars, choosers, yadda yadda. We both moved out of the way, as her dad came in close behind, lugging a small suitcase. "James, your room's up the stairs. Guest bedroom, Chris and I spent most of the week working on it for you." Nodding at him, I moved to take the suitcase from him, since it contained some of my clothes, the rest at my old house. However, he pulled it away from me. "Why don't you let me carry it up James. Go on, check out the room." I frowned at him. Great, I was being treated like a weak child with glass bones. Not what I needed. Moving forward, I grabbed the suitcase out of his hand. "Michael, it's fine, really. I can manage."

He looked as though he was going to argue. Hell, so did Chris. But I shot both of them a look that while polite, managed to tell them both that I did not appreciate them doting on me. They got the message, Michael raising his hands, palms toward me. "Alright James, you win. Sorry." The apology hurt, because at the end of the day....they were trying to be polite. "Nah, it's fine Michael. I just....need to do this on my own is all." With that, I started walking up the stairs, the suitcase clunking up behind me as I carried it. It was....difficult, mostly because I had to walk with a leg that felt nothing, but eventually I was able to make it up to the summit of the stairs. It ended at a wide hallway, big enough for furniture to be moved through. Four doors were on this floor, and I was headed for the one to my immediate right. Opening the door, I found myself staring at a mostly scarce room, the only things inside being a bed with only the basic necessities, a very plain looking desk, and a closet. Oh and a medium sized dresser.

"So, think you'll be okay?" Chris said from behind me, standing in the doorway. She was leaned against the frame, looking at me, waiting for a response. All I could do was smile. "Chris, it's great. Give me a few weeks, and I'll make this room my own." A few weeks, and a chance to grab some stuff from my old room. I set the suitcase down on the bed, and unzipped it as I began to unpack. "Cool," Chris said. "I'm going to help with lunch, so come down when you're ready." Then she walked off, and I could hear the sound of her footsteps going down the stairs. That gave me some private time with Gestalt. Okay, about the internet thing.....did you hack, anyone?

Hack.....your thoughts suggest computer hacking. Exploitation of weaknesses within digital security systems. To answer your question, yes.

And that's what I was afraid of. Without boring anyone with the details, cyber security had become a major thing over the past two decades, even becoming a big weapon in the war. In most cases, it was more dangerous than nuclear weapons and the monitoring of it was taken with just as much seriousness. I did not want to bring down the wrath of any cyber security agency down on me, because Gestalt had hacked the wrong people. Were you detected?

Doubtful. Our cyberwarfare suites are far more advanced than anything on your world. However, even if detection was possible, they will not be able to trace us, or you.

Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:43 pm

they're high end parts that should speed things up and because your my friend and friends help friends
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 08:46 pm

"Uh...thanks, Zeru. It's not uhm...customary, to just give things to others, not unless they ask, that is." I reply, a little taken aback to be honest he would just give me things.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 11:37 pm

no problem and it depends on person really/u]

=hops down from railing=

[u] wanna get a bite to eat?
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 11:44 pm

The Sayla was a marvel of Valkyrie engineering. An impressive ship, it was Libra's Ninteenth present. The diverse Valkyries each had a gift, some big, some small. She had a big gift, but also with it a big responsibility.
"Libra. You and Aries will be sent off on a diplomatic mission."
"In an Aphelion class?"
"Mutamorphs are growing bolder. We have detected multiple scouts around Earth, as well as the rogues belonging to Cassiopeia."
The young Libra nodded. "I'll make sure Earth joins in alliance! We'll stop them!"

She thought it would be so easy.

Libra was wrong. As she looked across the club, in a robe and panting, she thought back. The object shouldn't have done that much damage. The engines shouldn't have misfired and sent them the wrong way. Shields were at full, then off. Seryna barely escaping the firey explosion and disconnecting the Sheretan.
Libra couldn't get her mind off her crew, as many were slaughtered by gunfire.
Carina. Cassiopiea's second in command. She had bribed her way onboard and created a mutiny. And gotten hit by flaming metal and shot down.
She was sure everyone but herself and Seryna were dead. She was powerless now, all her energy used to protect the two as they crashed into the earth. Sayla went down in the ocean.
They had barely escaped into human civilization with their lives. Left without technology, they had to figure out ways to survive on their own. All they had was a few diamonds they had been cutting in the machine shop for a gift. Now, they sold these huge chunks for apparently a lot of Earth money. Enough to find temporary housing, and gather what earth technology they could to start forging human documents.
worked out well. Currently in New York, Libra took up a job as a human dancer (apparently white hair at her age, the color of freshly fallen snow, was uncommon). With her piercing violet eyes, she was hired on the spot.
Her shift nearly over, Seryna was outside with their Chevy Suburban. The scientist had worked tirelessly to fix it up as a mobile command center of sorts, considering it's size.
Libra had gotten a more sleek, flashier car. Something called a Camaro. She bought it outright - the entire vault of gems had been jettisoned, following her biosign.
"Lexi."
Her boss. "Yes?"
"Listen, you'vebeen putting in almost eighty hours this week. I know you said all the time I could give, but how about you work two days next week and half some time off. You need to rest or you'll start getting sick."
"Alright."
"Now I cant pay for the vacation, but I do promise a pay raise." He grinned. "I look after my girls."
"I know."

Now, Jake had moved to New York because his mom got a new job with Nexus. And he now was looking at a gauntlet that he had found on the shore of the beach. He had tentatively picked it up, then looked it over.
Putting it on....it opened a can of worms.
Armor. It just appeared through this rift. It opened and encased him. Huge...it was amazing. A massive sword, this awesome cannon.
And then...
"Whoever is inside the PERSEUS armor, identify yourself."
"Jacobi Chase?"
"Human. Interesting...no matter. You're now my ally, Jacobi Chase. I am Aries, an alien. And right now I need your help."

"Jake!"
he turned. Stella. Estelle Evans went to his school. He had asked her out, and after a few months got a small apartment near the beach together. Her parents were loaded and paid for it, and he kept the place in order. They had two roommates, both girls.
Jake was confused to how hd got there (or how his mom let him) but it was soon clear - Stella could sell ice to eskimos and get Santa to pay ten cents evrry time he said Ho Ho Ho!
So he was looking out at the waves as his life was ridiculously strange, and wondered when the next problem would fall from the sky.

Last edited by Xion's Memory on 21/05/14, 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime20/05/14, 11:51 pm

"Sure. Where do you want to go? The computer should be backlogged for at least another hour or so." I reply, stretching my body out, feeling my void-corrupted muscles flex and tense. "That one place over by the water was nice, until that one rowdy human decided to test my patience."
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 12:52 am

meh drunks are always annoying when they start getting in your face and i was thinking of just stopping by a fast food place not far from here
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 12:52 am

Well, that was a relief. Last thing I needed was to have the government on my ass. Good....and for future reference, try and keep the hacking to a minimum. That kind of thing tends to draw unwanted attention. Gestalt didn't respond, though again I could sense it's attempt to mimic amusement. In the silence, I got all my clothes moved from the suitcase, to the dresser. Once that was done, and the suitcase was stashed away, I headed down the stairs. First thing I heard though, was a voice coming over the tv. It was a newswoman by the sound of it, and the story they reported on had me very worried.

"Government agencies around the world have been struggling to determine the cause of one of the most widespread cyber attacks in history. Most of the information has been restrained, but what we do know is that nearly every government computer had been hacked in the past week. Not only that, but simultaneously, and if the reports we have are accurate, as if the security in place wasn't even there. Officials say the security was only able to detect the breach. Still no word on who officials suspect, but evidence leans towards an independent party. More on this story, after these messages."

Undetectable my ass..... Then again, Gestalt did say if it was detected. Looks like it was detected. The a chilling thought hit me. Uh, Gestalt? Did you steal any information?

Not required. We were able to make copies of the original source material while leaving the originals intact and where they were found. It would have been rude to steal the originals.

And yet you hacked their computers anyway.....plus that's still stealing information dammit. I shook my head, fighting the urge to sigh out-loud. Instead, I reached the base of the stairs, and found that the tv was indeed on, and on one of the news stations though like the newswoman said, they were on commercial break. Chris and Michael however, were not in the living room, but in the kitchen working on lunch. By the looks of things, it wasn't anything special, just some sandwiches. Michael though, seemed to have the same anxious look on his face. I guess Nexus was among those that suffered Gestalt's little scavenger hunt.
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 01:11 am

"Works for me. Which one was it?" I asked, getting up off the rail and going towards the stairs.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 01:15 am

=follows right behind him=

can't remember think they changed the name during the buyout
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 01:26 am

"The one with that had that large glowing sign above the door and on a stick so everyone within a few miles could see it? That's a nice place. Way better after they were bought out." I say, not bothering with shoes or locking the door. There wasn't much to steal anyway.
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 01:31 am

He heard me come in, and immediately struck up a conversation. "Can you believe this?" he asked, using a knife to spread mayo over the bread. "I got a call from my superiors two days ago. They wanted me to come down to work to oversee our tech department, make sure we were secure. I told them that wasn't going to happen, a) because I still had personal affairs to handle, and b) because my computer skills are shit. That's what the tech department is for." That made me chuckle, and I grabbed a seat at the small table in the kitchen. Chris walked over, placing a plate before me, a sandwich on top, sliced in half. Nodding my thanks, I started to eat while she took a seat opposite me. "Well, glad you're staying here dad. Honestly, you're hardly around anymore these days."

I could almost hear him frown, even if his back kept us from seeing his face. "Yeah, sorry Chris. Things have been a little hectic at work." He sat down at the head of the table, a plate and glass before him. There was the same weary look on his face. "Security at Nexus has been a nightmare, ever since Draco set up shop nearby." Oh right, Draco..... Remember Blackwater, or Obelisk, most of the big names of Private Military Companies? Draco LLC, is basically that. Though now they prefer private security contractor, they're an army unto themselves. Nexus founded them however, and still controlled them. From what I heard, they utilized the bulk of Nexus' military technology and weapons. I remember Kat talking about them once, and from what I gathered she didn't like them at all.

"I thought they were separate from Nexus?" Chris said, taking a bite of her sandwich. "At least, that they had no say in security within the main building." Michael shrugged. "Yeah, they don't really have any authority within Nexus itself, save for being posted in 'high-value' areas. But the district commander has been trying to make a push for a merge between his security forces, and the company's. Technically, it's possible, since we're all working for Nexus anyway, though some still oppose the idea. They don't want to turn the facility into a military base they say." It seemed clear from the way he spoke, that he was one of those people. I didn't have much of an opinion on the matter though, so I stayed quiet and ate my sandwich. Thew newswoman was back at this point.

"Welcome back to DNN, I'm Patricia Woods. Still our top story, the simultaneous cyber attack of what has now been confirmed to be close to every major computer on the planet. So far no one has taken credit for the attack...."

It was pretty much the same stuff she had said minutes ago. No real change, and certainly no identifying the source of the attack. Gestalt really was good at his job, and it made me make a mental note: next time a major test comes up, hack the computers for the answer. Save me a whole lot of trouble.

"Hmm, first the explosion and now this.....what a weird week," was the first thing I said to break the silence. Chris snorted, even if it as dark humor. "Yeah...looks like its nothing but headline news." The conversation kinda died from there, though there were a few bits where we talked about school, and then Chris began talking with me about setting up sparring session. I will say this for her: she was persistent. And while I didn't want to train with her......I figured saying yes was the only way to get her to stop asking me about it. Besides, I had long since gotten over getting my ass handed to me by a girl. And that was only the one-hundredth time I had told myself that. Maybe when I reached a hundred and thirty I could finally stop saying it.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 01:47 am

yeah i heard they don't require shoes now
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 02:04 am

"Really? Now we can go without having to hide everything from everybody. Easier eatings, I suppose."
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 03:36 am

yeah hopefully the food is still good
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 04:41 am

Orion sat in his room, looking over a large set of files. Argentine, Chile, the Falklands, Newfoundland, and even a case in Hawaii... He rubbed his head and sighed softly. He was still half awake, and also didn't care about any of this.

Argentina - Man with possible nuclear arms.
Chile - Group with possible nuclear arms.
Falkland Islands - Group with intent of rebelling and forming independent nation.
Newfoundland - Man with suggested superpowers raging havoc.
Hawaii - Group intent on activating the Ring of Fire.

That last one sounded interesting. The Ring of Fire was a ring of volcanoes that, if detonated, could very easily cause innumerable damage that really hasn't been experienced anywhere in the world on a natural disaster scale. Orion actually did some research, noticing dozens of volcanos in the Western American states, Japan, the Philippines, and New Zealand. He pondered and sighed, as he picked up his phone to reply an affirmative on the Hawaii initiative.
But to his pleasant surprise, there was instead, a lovely and distracting reminder.

'The Saphire Nightclub is waiting for you. Girls girls girls, all fun and beautiful~!'

Orion sighed, smiling to himself, as he rang the club he was very much used to hiring people from. With a happy and seductive voice, a familiar tone picked up across the lines, raising Orions morale even a little bit.

"Hey, this is Saphires. How can we help you today?"

"Hello Chanel. It's Orion."

There was a short pause before what sounded like scuffling, and the sound of... something, happening, before the voice came back a little louder than previously.
"Orion~! It's been a while since you called the Cherry Babies. Are you gonna try and pick up where you left off last time, or perhaps try a slightly less desperate road?"
To most that'd be taken as an insult, but it wasn't hard for Orion to hear the smile on her lips as she spoke. A few months back, Orion had been trying to get her out on a date, and dumped lord only know much money on her. He shook his head and stood up, stretching for a moment.

"Our time was fun, but right now I'm just after something that can the job done. Have you got any suggestions, dear Chanel?"

The sound of humming rang across the phone, before finally she chimed up again in her high voice, naturally unseductive voice.

"There's this girl Lexi you might like. Not exactly your body type, but she'll get it done. She's surprised a few of our regulars before."

Orion chuckled to himself and nodded happily. With the press of a button in his room, Orion gave his houseworkers a short buzz to let them know what would be going on soon.

"Sounds good. Send her my way."

He sighed and laid down on his bed for a moment, thinking. He'd never even been there before. In retrospect, he was probably getting scammed. But he hardly cared - he could afford it, so what was the deal with getting a little bit of a scam? It's all the same in the end.
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 04:53 am

Libra was about to throw her shirt on, when Chanel stopped her.
"Lexi! House call. I know, long day. But he pays big. Make him happy and you'll be riding pretty."
"And you mean..."
"Lead him on and make him pay you to try and date you."
"...okay then..." she sighed. "I'll do the job. Let me call my sis." She dropped the shirt and left Seryna a message before re-dressing in her skimpy outfit and throwing on an overcoat. She stretched, grabbing her purse.
She headed outside and slipped into her car, then roared off towards the address, weaving through late nighht traffic.
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:04 am

Orion stood in the large lounge room, tapping his leg gently. It'd been a while since he'd made any kind of house call, really. The place was eternally clean and eerily lonely. With the push of a button he turned on the tv, switching to a music channel. Some sort of modern hip-hop was on, the kind of stuff he'd see people dancing too. It'd work.

He looked around, pushed a few seats back into a large U-shape, and grinned cheekily. The majority of his employers didn't know about this installation - it was a quiet one that he'd had done over the holidays a few years ago. With the push of a small, cream button, hidden in a wall, a circular platform raised in the middle of a room, and a long silver pole fell down from the roof. He had no idea what limits this girl would have, but it was always safe to have this out.

Orion sat down and took a long, pleasant breath. Better day than he'd expected.
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:10 am

Libra arrived at the address. Stepping out of her car, she was buzzed in and headed to the apartment. She arrived and knocked, hands grasping the coat, ready to pull it apart.
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:27 am

Orion heard the knock and stood, brushing himself down as he opened the door wide. And...

"Well, certainly better than I expected. I'm assuming you'd be 'Lexi'?"

He stood aside to let her in with a humble bow, shutting and locking the door behind her, his eyes not leaving her frame at any point. Skimpy clothing, fair body, white hair, which was interesting. He'd not met anyone with white hair that actually looked natural.

"What's your real name? I'm assuming Lexi is a nickname for something. Alexis?"
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:40 am

Libra nodded, stretching. "Alexis. Nice guess." She smiled and leaned closer to him, her violet eyes piercing into his. "Fee's two hundred and hour. Anything else is welcome." She turned and seducitvely walked to the stage, then looked over her shoulder. "So. What do you prefer? Or just like watching a girl have fun?"
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:49 am

Orion smiled to himself, though admitted he felt a little bizarre. It'd been far too long since he had anything that wasn't just mindless. And, while this wasn't exactly on brain activity, it still was more than he'd been used to in the last few years.

"I'm mostly an 'as it comes to me' kinda guy. You have fun, if somethings comes to mind for me, or for you, then we'll roll with that."

He spoke with a sly grin, not willing to say that he had absolutely no idea where his wallet was. That was kind of the majesty of being a regular with a place like the Saphire. He'd be able to pay back a later date. Of course having the ability to protect ones self from ruthless debt collectors also played a major roll.

"Don't feel obligated to use the stage," he said as he sat on the couch before it. "S'more there just to get it out."
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 05:55 am

Libra smiled and began dancing on the pole.."it's a good warm up." She said. She spun and moved, until she was hanging upside down.
"So..." she unhooked the top, letting it fall and revealing...okay they were maybe Bs. Maybe. Not bigger then mid. She beckoned. "Come on. Get comfy." She grinned. "Or is this dance for your couch and not you?"
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 06:01 am

He smirked as he watched her, sitting back and simply enjoying the show. He did enjoy watching more than anything else. To him, to touch was to open up a whole new world of it. And he wasn't exactly opening that flood gate with some chick he'd just hired.

"Well hey, every couch needs a little love." He says cheekily, before sighing and scratching his chest though his top. He was already quite comfy really. Baggy pants helped.

"I'm comfy, sweet cheeks. Just let me enjoy myself."
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 06:06 am

Libra nodded. Sliding down, she began dancing upright, dropping clothes until Orion could see her. She kept it up.
"Got water?" She asked as she spun on the pole. "For later." She clarifyed, continuing her dance.
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 06:06 am

It wasn't too long before I got a chance to leave the house. See, Michael got called away to work, and Chris decided the time was right for me to start my training again, and the gym was close by. She got a call from someone, not sure who, and I heard her say something like "Meet us at the gym." That was about it though, and soon she and I were walking down the street to the gym. It wasn't your typical gym either; Spartan Gym was in fact the local boxing gym, and while it wasn't as neat and tidy as the big places, it was to me.....more alive, real, hard to describe but better than places like L.A. Fitness.

As we walked inside, Chris got lot of greetings from some of the guys in there, older men whom she had earned their respect in the ring. Someone saw me and said "Oh man....that's just sad." Not sure if he meant it was sad I was crippled, or sad I was crippled and there.
Back to top Go down
N
The Longterm Poster
N

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 07:04 am

"Look, I can't do these reports right now, I've still got the other ones from earlier today to finish - yes, the ones you left on my desk this morning - No! We're still going through them! Do you realize how ma- Yes, fine, okay, I'll do it." Click. The Head of the Laboratories, Henry, hung up the phone in his office. He was angry, and quite reasonably so. He had been given a stack of paperwork, findings reports, cost analysis, chemical orders, chemical requests, laboratory requests, and more, the moment he arrived at the labs. He had his days work laid out in front of him, until that last phone call. The higher ups wanted him to complete some new paperwork, something that anyone one could do, and who many people with less things on their plate could do, but they sent it to him. They wanted him to drop what he was doing, and jump through hoops for them. Not a moment after he hung up, did someone with that special stack of paperwork come through his office door and drop it off - it was larger than the one he had this morning. He glared at the guy who dropped it off, and the man snickered and left. "This is bullshit." The Head of Laboratories exclaimed as the door shut. It doesn't matter how you feel about a situation, you still have to deal with it, so Henry got to work on these prioritized files.

As Henry worked on these files, the many researchers in the building went about doing their research. Writing up research proposals, or brainstorming, or just working on labs and tests. One of the researcher assistants, Nicholas, was working on electric eels, more specifically, finding medical uses for the organs that generate electricity. The idea was to implant an organ that could make a pacemaker last until the person implanted with it died. So that they didn't need to go back in for a check-up or to have the battery replaced. The idea was simple enough, getting it to worked was not. The first thing he had to tackle was getting the organ to behave how they wanted it to. They had to clone most of the Eel tissue, thanks to PETA and their protesting the use of animals in scientific study. Most of the cloned tissue ended up not working the way normal tissue is supposed to. They were having small set back issues.
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 09:55 am

Chris and I had changed separately, and moved over to the training mat, a flat space in the back of the gym big enough for eight people to spar in pairs quite comfortably. I had only a t-shirt and sweatpants, and since there was the usual no shoe policy for the mat I was down to one bare foot and one bare......robotic foot. Chris was sporting a red athletic tank-top, sleeveless and showing off her athletic figure, a pair of black mesh shorts that ended above her knees, oh and a cocky grin on her face, though I guess it wasn't cocky if the confidence behind it stemmed from fact. In addition, we both sported training gloves, headgear and shin-guards, all in the name of safety. Oddly enough I still wore one on my right leg, though I figured it was her benefit. I mean, if she kicked me there she's probably break her foot.

"Alright James," she said as both stood across from each other, adopting our ready stances. "Since you just got out of the hospital, and are sporting some new rims--" (I frowned at her, slightly annoyed) "--we'll take it nice and slow, and ease ourselves into it." Snorting, I said "Bet you say that to all the guys Chris." Her eyes took on an all too familiar glint of amusement, and she responded "Like any guy could get this close to me. Now come on, let's see if you remember anything I taught you."
Back to top Go down
FallenSanity
The Active Poster
FallenSanity

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 10:18 am

Orion nodded, walking over to the small fridge in the room and getting out two bottles of water. One he set down near the stage and the other he kept for himself, taking a sip and smirking to himself as he watched her move.

"Already thinking ahead, huh?"
Back to top Go down
Xion's Memory
The Wizards
Xion's Memory

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 04:11 pm

She crawled to the edge of the stage, throwing her head back.
"Yep." She affirmed, before sliding back up the pole.
Alexis continued her dance, doing her best to keep looking at Orion.
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 08:31 pm

"I can't imagine the food would be any worse. The cookers didn't get changed out did they?" We were down the stairs by now, walking along the sidewalk as cars whipped past us. I could hear each car come along, and watch it as it moved past my face, but at the same time I could watch it approach and pass us without ever moving my head. It was a strange feeling at first, something you can't really describe. Just like how I could hear their presence. A constant undertone to the way the regular sounds were, giving me a general size and direction of objects, almost like a constant sonar. The only advice I could give to anyone would be to experience it themselves, then you might understand.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 08:43 pm

i think they brought in a new head cook and that they're more efficent
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 08:45 pm

She started first, darting towards me, but I realized she was going slow, like she said before. Her first attack was a kick aimed high at my left shoulder, which I blocked before she dropped her leg to ready herself for a punch that hit me in the gut. We may have been going slow to ease into things, but she wasn't pulling her punches and I bent over in pain. "Come on now James, we both know it wasn't that bad. Man up," she said, smiling as I straightened myself and came at her for a change. I got too eager though, and she grabbed my first punch and flipped me over and behind her onto the mat. "That was stupid James," she said. "You don't rush in, you fight smart or else the other guy will exploit you're stupidity."
Back to top Go down
Teria
The Oldest Crones Alive
Teria

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 08:55 pm

"Well, I suppose we'll find out when we get there." I reply, rolling my head to stretch my neck muscles.
Back to top Go down
zeru
The Wizards
zeru

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime21/05/14, 09:11 pm

true enough
Back to top Go down
Razgriz
The Oldest Crones Alive
Razgriz

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime22/05/14, 04:40 am

Rolling onto my chest and standing up, I did my best to remember the moves Chris had taught me before. The problem was that I was a bit lazy and never practiced enough to build up any muscle memory for the techniques, save the basics. So maybe that was where I needed to start. The first thing Chris had taught me, was Krav Maga, an Israeli martial arts style. She was better at.....well, all of them, than I was. But it was the first one she taught me, and the best I knew so I went for the basics in that school of fighting.

Starting off with taking a new stance, I waited for her to get close this time before throwing the first punch, which she dodged right before I sent a kick her way. She grabbed my leg though, and just as an example mimed hitting it with her arm, something that would potentially break or damage my leg at least, before shoving me back and onto my ass. This was where I got creative, using the skills I picked up freerunning to lean back onto the floor, raise my legs and kick them out to lift me before I came to my feet, surprised at how I was able top adapt so quickly to the new leg.

It is certainly an impressive piece of machinery, given what we know about your race anyway. Crude yes, but still impressive, Gestalt said.

It certainly was, and I resumed my sparring with Chris, the two of us trading blows and I felt a small rush at how much better I was starting to get, going back to basics really helping me improve. That is, until Chris ducked low and swung her leg out, kicking my legs out from under me in a sweep that sent me to the ground again, and to follow up she straddled me at the stomach, left arm pressing to my neck, right arm raised and hand in a fist that was ready to punch a hole in my head. "Not bad James," she said, lightly panting and a few beads of sweat visible on her neck. "Definitely getting better, especially with that leg of yours." She got off me, walking away and turning her back on me, hands raised over her head as she straightened her arms, fingers locked over as she stretched. "Ready for Round Two?" she called over her shoulder.
Back to top Go down
N
The Longterm Poster
N

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime22/05/14, 05:49 pm

"Well, we're able to get it to release the 600 volts at 1 ampere, but we're not able to get it less than 300 volts at that same 1 ampere. So I don't know if you want us to keep trying or not - yeah, the hunter's organ, the Sach's organ is for electrolocation, not electrocution, though I guess in theory we could still try using the Sach's organ, that might even be a better idea since it only releases 0.15 volts, but then there's the issue of amperes. Oh, and we'd have to ensure that the release of electricity is in a pulse and not a wave, for risk of damaging other organs in the body..." The conversation continued from there. Nicholas was talking to one of the researchers about the possibility of using a different organ for testing, since he was having difficulty with the one he was working with now. He wanted to experiment with both organs, and use the one that was safest to use with humans. The team he was on did not want to create an artificial cell, battery, to put in the human body, but an additional organ that was modified to fit the needs of that person. Batteries have been made using the electric eel's organs as models, and even improved upon. Electrophorus Electricus.

He spends most of his work day preparing cell cultures and the electric organs of the eel for the researchers themselves. He was ambitious in telling them what he thought about the use of a different organ. Giving his own ideas to research that was not his. He knew there was a chance that any of the researchers he talked to might take his ideas and call them their own. He knew that. He did it anyway, if he can be apart of something that saves lives or changes the way humanity thinks about science, or anything world changing, he would, even if he didn't get any credit for it. So he spends all day preparing experiments for the organs and preparing the organs, and at the end of the day, he goes home to his apartment. He walks from his apartment to work and back everyday. It takes him one hour and twenty minutes to go either way. He doesn't ask, or accept, rides to his apartment. He walks and he thinks about his life.

Up until a few weeks ago, Nicholas was a missing person. He had been missing for 18 years. He had gone missing when he was 24 years old, and when he came back, he was 22. He didn't have an explanation for it, nor did he have an explanation as to why he had been gone for 18 years. He knows nothing of what happened to his friends or family, or anyone he cared about. He was alone, after coming back, and the authorities don't know that he's back. So in the books he's still a missing person. The people he works with don't know that. There are no missing persons signs for him, only the people who knew him missed him. As time went on, many of them grew to accept the fact that he may be dead. In time he was just a memory.

A few weeks ago, he came back from wherever he had been, and found himself in New York. In the home of an estranged artist, who had been drawing the strangest black and red pictures, as well as painting, all of the images were of places Nicholas had been, and who he had seen, all in black and red. The artist nearly went mad when he found Nicholas in his apartment. Which must have been quite something else, a person he had drawn had come to life while he was away. However, with the arrival of Nicholas, came the arrival of something else, a shapeshifter in the form a cat. Nicholas sat down with the artist to try and calm him down. After a few days of explaining things, or trying to explain things, the artist finally calmed down, and accepted things. The artist thanked Nick for staying and not running away from him when he freaked out. Nicholas just smiled and said "Nothing is gained when you leave someone in distress."

Nicholas had questions of his own, he asked what year it was, he asked about the state of affairs of new york, the world, change in technology, he asked whatever came to mind. From there he left the artist, feeling better, if still a bit shaken up, and went to discover New York for himself.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World   Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1: Welcome to the New World
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next